The Southern Nevada Health District Wednesday reported Clark County’s first confirmed case of severe respiratory illness linked to e-cigarette products.
The patient, who is under 18, was hospitalized with respiratory symptoms that met the case definition established by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
The patient was released from the hospital and is recovering.
“Identifying a case in a young person who used vaping products that should not have been available to them is an unfortunate reminder of how pervasive these items have become and the danger they pose to our children and the public,” said Dr. Joe Iser, Chief Health Officer for the Southern Nevada Health District in a statement.
Last week Carson City Health and Human Services, Southern Nevada Health District, and Washoe County Health District sent an advisory warning the public of the potential for severe lung illness associated with the use of e-cigarettes, advising people not to use vaping products and e-cigarettes.
The CDC has reported over 450 potential cases of vape-related illnesses across the country, including six deaths. Investigators have not identified any specific product or compound that is linked to all cases. All patients, however, have reported e-cigarette product use or vaping.
Many of the patients reported vaping THC products, some have reported using both nicotine and THC products. A smaller number have reported using just nicotine, according to the CDC.
The patients who have been hospitalized have reported experiencing a gradual start of symptoms, including:
- Respiratory symptoms (cough, shortness of breath, or chest pain)
- Gastrointestinal symptoms (nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea)
- Non-specific symptoms (fatigue, fever, or weight loss)