Catholic Charities of Southern Nevada, one of the few places that offers accommodations for people experiencing homelessness, is temporarily closing its night shelter after an individual who accessed services tested positive for COVID-19.
The individual, according to a statement sent out by the Southern Nevada Health District Wednesday, also visited the City of Las Vegas’ Courtyard Homeless Resource Center, an open-air facility that offers sleeping space at night.
“The Southern Nevada Health District is coordinating the screening of individuals who may have come in contact with the homeless man who tested positive for the coronavirus while at the Homeless Courtyard and Catholic Charities,” city spokesman Jace Radke said in a statement. “The city is also working with Clark County and local homeless providers to expand the Courtyard operations onto Foremaster Lane to aid and expedite the screening process for those who may have been in contact with this individual.”
Catholic Charities offers about 500 beds each night for men. The organization is working with the City and the health district to identify a temporary site to relocate shelter services.
Nevada Current previously asked the City as well as Clark County about plans to expand shelter options for those living on the streets or if they are discussing using vacant hotel rooms to house people, something other cities have done. Neither government has specified their plans.
Gov. Steve Sisolak on Tuesday signed a directive prohibiting public gatherings of ten or more people in Nevada. “This measure does not apply to our state’s homeless population,” Sisolak said.